Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Milano & Home

I have been SO delinquent in the postings. My last two weeks have been crazy, but incredibly besutiful, fun, and awe-inspiring. I have so much to write about and will spread it out over the next few days. I am currently in Milan, but will be leaving in just 11 short hours for home. Yes home. I am leaving Europe, and all the 6 countries that I have called home the last three months. I say six countries because they have all in some way have been some place special, some place where I could see myself, if given the chance, living for some time in my life. Obviously, my time in France became my home and I really miss all that I was able to get to know and meet.
Friend's & I at a dinner party
Caitlin & I at the Cenac Rugby Bodega
Albert & I at the St Cyprien Night Market

I went to England, and found myself wanting to spend much more time there with a certain someone.

I would say that this fireworks at the last Night at the Proms explains the feeling quite well
I went to Italy to follow my food passions and learn what 5,000 farmers from 150 countries are doing to preserve their food heritage and culture.

Wishes at the Trevi Fountain
Terra Madre 2010
I went to Germany, to get in touch with my family roots.
Market in Munich, no WONDER I love these swings so much

I went to the Czech Republic not knowing what to expect and only to find that Prague reminded me so much of my favorite city in the world, San Fransisco.

So not the Golden Gate Bridge, but there was just something that connected this city to home
And finally, I went to Switzerland, to discover some of the greatest beauty I have seen in any landscape.


So it only makes sense that I am here in Milan, on my last night in Europe, with a wonderful family. They are the family of our friend Tony, and graciously accepted me into their house very last minute. Mom and Dad don't speak any English and Ivana, their daughter, does her best in translating our conversations (and she is REALLY good at it). But even without directly speaking to one another, I have again found myself in a place that feels like home.  It only seems appropriate to be in this home before I embark on my 18 hour journey in the morning back to the Bay. We spent a few hours "talking" about our respective homes, their love for their native Calabria, and my love for Sonoma County. I showed the pictures of my family and friends. But without speaking anything at all, we bonded over the language of food.

lunch for us four

Wonderful salumi-like cured pork from Calabria
1st course-antipasto of the pork, cheese, pickled vegetables

2nd course-pasta with a DUCK and pork ragu. She started cooking this before I got up for even breakfast!



3rd course, 'fried' chicken and potaotes

And a wonderful pannacotta that we had to eat a view hours later after a nap because I was so full. But, sitting in their living room, we laughed and enjoyed the meal together, and I couldn't help but feel part of the family. 

Now I head home to my own family and I say goodbye to this three month chapter in my life. It was an amazing experience and I know that my adventure is not yet over. There is too much good food and good people to not just get out there to taste and meet everyone. And this blog is not over either! During this last two weeks I have had some incredible encounters with people and food, just not enough time to write about them. So on my 12 and a half hour flight from Zurich to Los Angeles (and my two one hour flights before and after), I will be writing away and posting upon my return to the Bay. From there, I will see where my life will take me as I begin the real quest to figure out what I want to do with my life, and of course, document and share with you my food moments along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment