Saturday, May 4, 2013

La Vendimia




I haven't a clue on where to start on my last two months, the duration of my vendimia, or harvest, here in Chile. It seems like yesterday I was crossing the Andes into Chile, with a sense of wonder and full of excitment. I was here to do something I love, make wine. I had no idea what to expect, and was going into this foreign land relatively blind. Armed only with the name of the winery, and the location of where to get off the bus, my fellow Gringa, Molly, and I ventured into uncharted territory.

The winery is in the Maule Valley, in between two cities, or rather a city, Talca, and a town, San Clemente. We were to live at the vineyard, in a casita, with two girls from Chile, and next door to a casa, with 12 boys from Chile, ranging from 18-28 years old.

The casita


Vineyards & Andes off the porch


And on our first night, we were greeted with the monthly Asado, pleasantly located in between the two houses



A stunning view, choripans (chorizo and bread), and some cerdo (pork), it was a fun, delicious introduction to this valley and to my time here.

As it turns out, the next two months would prove to be my most difficult in my series of journeys around this world thus far. I learned a lot, and saw a completely new side of winemaking, one that has far more logisitics, additions, and movements than I ever knew. I learned to be pushed to my limits-in sleep, in language, in culture, and when it comes down to it, to the wine being produced and in the methods of production. The winery is expanding at a rapid pace and the company is still trying to figure out how to process the thousands upon thousands of kilograms of grapes six nights a week.



Six nights of the week that we were working-a 24 hour crew-working their hearts out for wine that sells from $3.00-$10.00 a bottle.



I was on a 12 hour night shift for a month, and the day off flipping back and forth between day and night to see something of the outside world.



Speaking only Spanish, processing grapes both familiar (merlot, top) and new (tintorera, bottom),






and always hoping to stay warm enough to taste through the wines at a 4 am round in 40 degree weather.



I write this now, at the end of my harvest, with a new appreciation of what I love and know back home in Sonoma County, a working knowledge of the Spanish language, and more then ever, my heart is still with wine-and appreciating all that it takes makes that delicious cup in your hand.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so amazed by you...and envious of you, and perhaps a little sad that I was not smart enough, nor adventurous enough to let my wings fly. Enjoy, I have no doubt that you will be living a life full of many adventures. Congrats...you are living what most people dream of. :) Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Jennifer! Can't wait to see you and hear more about your adventures. xoxo
    ~ Alexandra

    ReplyDelete