Friday, October 8, 2010

Amore Roma


Train rides have become my most precious moments to write down thoughts from the days prior. I have left Rome and now sit on a train, saddened to be leaving such a fantastic interesting city now filled with wonderful memories. But I am excited for all things that lie ahead-in life and in our next city Florence where this train ride is taking me.

I have always been intrigued by history of any kind. To me, traveling is the best way to see history first hand-to walk in the shoes of others before you and see how they lived. In California, it is hard to do this, as our history just doesn’t reach the depths as it does in say, Rome. Sure we have some interesting Native American sites, but they have the Coliseum and the Pantheon. Structures like that blow my mind away with their construction, their power and especially their preservation.




I think beautiful is an understatement. But that how a lot of this city was. And luckily for us, there was plenty of beautiful meals that were shared. I did not document them all-partially to not drive my fellow travelers crazy by forcing them to wait to eat until after I took a picture, and partially because most of the time I was far too hungry myself to wait. The food was just so dang good it was impossible not to chow down as soon as it hit the table in front of you. Some notable meals-

Dinner at Casa Coppelle

Situated on the Northeast side of Plaza Navona was this charming restaurant. There are back rooms with bookshelves and bouquets as it is a ‘casa’ or house theme, but we chose a seat near the bar.


Front of restaurant
Dinner started with a basket of their homemade bread (regular and focaccia) and a lovely bottle of wine, from a winery called Leone de  Castro. I have still yet to figure out how Italian wines are labeled and was almost getting familiar with the wines in the general Southern section of France (don’t even get me confused with the different wines of the North) so Italian wines are just lost on me. All I know is that they are good.
For dinner, we had a Risotto made with Prosecco and thyme, an in house-made pasta with tomato, olives, basil and a veal dish with a wine sauce. I wish I could be more specific then that! I was so intent on eating that I didn’t write down anything and just indulged. But I can tell you, it was GOOD.

Pasta!

Risotto

Veal

Compliments to the chefs!
We decided to head out for dessert to one of the many fabulous gelato stands that seem to be on every corner. We did not have to walk to long before we found a bustling shop, with flavors for days. We each got a cup with three scoops and blissfully ate walking through the freshly rained on streets.
Black Passion (raspberry dark chocolate) champagne and raspberry


 
Our night ended with a trip to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps, both overly crowded during the day, but unbelievably beautiful at night. 





Lunch at Piazza Saint Pietro

Lex and I decided we wanted to make a lunch one day so went to a small market near St. Peters. We ogled at the fresh fruits and veggies and bought a few peaches and plums. For lunch, we stopped at a lovely stand with the cutest old man working and bought some fresh bread, some Cacio Roman cheese, breaded eggplant and an amazing pesto. We also grabbed the smallest bottle of wine (250 ml) to sip while consuming our soon to be feast







We gathered our goods, stopped at a Pastry shop to grab some sweets and headed to church.





With our sandwiches assembled and wine carefully unscrewed with enjoyed a fabulous lunch people watching and pigeon avoiding.

Other notable food adventures included a Salmon and Spinach Risotto, an Orchiette with Broccoli, some fried octopus, and of course some pizza from our couchsurfing host’s favorite place. We ended our time in Rome with a fabulous meal in Trasteverewith gnocchi.

Looking forward as we are just coming into the station in Florence I one thing-hungry. We left on an early train and did not have time to stop for breakfast so we have just sustained ourselves on some leftover nuts and the peaches we bought. So first things first is some lunch, I’ll try to take some pictures and post :)

1 comment:

  1. This post is pure epicurean torture with travel bliss all rolled into one! I was over the top after the gelato but then came the sandwich shot!
    Annette

    ReplyDelete