Monday, October 18, 2010

Markets


The past week has been extraordinarily busy. Traveling picked up pace as we moved through Bologna, Venice AND Munich. Now, I am sitting in Prague with some spare moments to re-gather my thoughts before I head back to Italy to meet up with my Dad for Terre Madre in Turin. Looking very much forward to that!

In Bologna and Venice I spent most of the time walking around and seeing the sites. In my food-obsessed mind however, I am always drawn to the nearest market or the next menu on the street, just to see what they are serving. In Bologna, we found markets that are set up year round, a whole street of permanent vendors selling their goods-a bread shop, cheese shop, wine shop, produce stand. Incredible.
I think any kind of meat you could want

Meat, cheese, pasta=my perfect store

Veggies

Pasta, Cheese Store

BEAUTIFUL tortelloni
 From Bologna, we traveled to Venice. I was sadly very disappointed in the food we had to eat there. We had been doing SO well on a traveler's budget and having some fantastic food. Searched long and hard in Venice, and never really seem to move much past the 'tourist trap' food. Partially because I didn't research, partially because I was only there for one night. We did however come across some pretty cool markets-particularly a fish market and produce market.
Scallops


Rows upon rows

Fuji apples from Italy

Beautiful lettuces

Peppers

You could smell these mushrooms from two stands over-they were amazing and I wish I had a kitchen to cook with them!

My favorite market was this floating market out at Murano. He had everything they we selling on the main island in Venice but off his boat. So nifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment