Thursday, February 21, 2013

Anatomy of the South American Overnight Bus Meal

South American buses have a reputation-they are supposed better the business class on an airplane. Not that I have flown business class, but I had some high expectations. After many a sleepless night on overnight buses in Southeast Asia, I was a little concerned. With only a couple weeks of "touring" travel before I arrive in Chile to work, I'm trying to get optimal sleep to maximize general awareness. The employee where I booked the ticket promised it would be nice, worth the extra $X amount to get a nicer bus, and they would have a meal or two.

I can't speak to comparing comfort but I did sleep a surprising amount. And thankful for it. And as for the meals? Two! Breakfast was full of packages cookie treats and a muffin. But dinner. Now we're talking. This meal was full of surprises and unknowns, so let's dissect and discover the anatomy of an overnight bus meal.



First, the unknown roll-top middle. Hard boiled eggs wrapped in a sweet pastry. I had to take a bite to find out what it was and only one bite to realize-ahhh yuck. No gracias. No idea if its for dessert or what but, no. Just no on this one. Moving on hoping for more!

On the top left, a cold potato salad with cooked carrots and peas. For those who know my food choices-you know I'll eat anything. But for whatever reason I do not like cooked carrots. Again, I choked it down and moved on.

To the bottom right carrot, pineapple, cherry salad. Interesting combination, but I'll often take anything that remotely resembles fruits and veggies at this point.

Next to the warm meal, bottom left. Chicken with what looked like ham 'bits' on potatoes. Heavy on the potatoes at this point, but calories are calories and this wasn't half bad, the sauce was actually nice and the chicken wasn't dry. So, minus one piece of questionable chicken which I cut off and set aside, all good!

On to my mini sando, top right-taking the roll, processed cheese and ham and the mayo and going for it. Probably a highlight!

The true highlight? Vino incluyo. Yes please. Two glasses outta that styrofoam cup on the top right of Argentina's famed Malbec will be justtttt fine, thank you! I am en route to Mendoza after all...



And for dessert, some orange like flan like creation! On the right in the container. Not too bad, and also had my weeks worth of sugar, double score!

Most impressive part is that all of this was served, eaten and picked up in about 15 minutes. Except the wine, I kept my wine but the girl moved quick!





So I got a good nights sleep, enough decent food-while saving to splurge on lunch in Mendoza. Lomo al Malbec con ensalada mixta.

Delicious steak, perfect weather to eat outside and I am one happy gal to be off that bus, at the foot of the Andes & ready to taste some wine.

Location:Somewhere in between Buenos Aires and Mendoza, Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment