Thursday, August 5, 2010

The beginning

After much deliberation, I have finally decided to create a blog. It seems like when one travels nowadays, the assumption is that they will create a blog. So, here I am. Though I don't want this to just be a travel blog because I am not just traveling, I am searching. I am searching for truth, and more specifically the truth in food. Recently, in conversation, someone used the phrase, "before I became interested in food", meaning before he had taken an active involvement in the same truth that I am searching for-what it means to have good, clean, wholesome, REAL food. It seems like too many people do not know what this is, and of those people, there are actually few who seem to actually care. Most people are just content with eating to survive, without taking pleasure in their food, and without care for what that "food" does to their bodies and our environment. So I ask, why isn't everyone more interested in their food?

My search for the answer to this question has taken me far and wide. From my college peers at the Univeristy of California, Santa Barbara, to my hometown residents in Sonoma County, to small farm owners in Spain, I have traveled trying to figure out what food means to different people. I want to know how much pride they take in what they're eating, and whether they are willing to take on, and to pressure, the rest of the world into eating what we, as humans, were supposed to be eating, REAL food. No more processed junk that have ingredient labels a mile long, no more factory farm meat, no more chemicals and pesticides. I will be the first to admit that this is not easy, and not always possible, but should be always something to strive for.

So now, my journey as a recent college graduate, has landed me in Southwest France for two months with a one month stint in Italy before I have to go home to California. In France, I am working in a bed & breakfast, with a lovely couple who have the same views as I do when it comes to food. Pabulum means food, but also, as noted, figuratively speaking, means Food For Thought. That;s what I wanted this blog to be, literally FOOD for thought with my travels built in! In my time here, I will be searching for the truth, for the REAL deal, the good stuff, the whole enchilada, what food (& wine, I mean I'm in FRANCE), means to people, to the community and to the earth. 

Let us all be interested  in food!


2 comments:

  1. How's the Walmart produce section over there? Haha, kidding, but seriously when you make your way over to Italy I suggest you take a ferry across the Adriatic Sea to Croatia. Not only will the food wet your appetite but the history of Dubrovnik will also. A town built inside castle walls. The ferry rides are sick too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Jamie Oliver and his tv programme about trying to change the food in the USA schools is constructed - apparently pizza for breakfast is what the 'kids' want. Fresh chicken and salad isn't a winner though! I think it's called school dinners USA or summit like that...
    Mark

    ReplyDelete