Friday, August 6, 2010

Volailles

Volailles means poultry in French. The region that I am spending time in, the Dordogne Region is known for foie gras, with signs leading to farms on every other turn. Here, all parts of the duck and geese get used, not just the one special piece.  I have not had foie gras from the region yet, but I have had my fair share of poultry, mostly duck.


Most know, my family has been in the duck business for many generations, so I have a particular interest and taste for it. Fresh off the airplane, my first dinner included duck. But not a traditional magret (the duck breast from a fattened Moulard), or even a duck confit (a duck leg cooked in fat and salt) but a duck burger. Yes, I said it, a duck burger. Here I am, thousands of miles from America and I am having the quintessential American food, a burger. But, don't get me wrong, it was so so delicious, and made at the B&B, so I was feeling quite at home. This particular duck burger included about half hamburger and half aiguillette, which is the small little fillet on the back of the duck breast, typically cut off before the preparation of the duck breast. Finding the aiguillette was a feat, as two butchers were out of the actual magret we were looking for. Shows how popular this meat really is! Also in the burger was sauteed shallots and duck fat. The duck fat was necessary to keep the burger together and juicy. Cooked medium rare, it was like I had never left home in Sonoma County right down to the sauteed green beans with bacon, just like my dad would have served!


This region has been a poultry area for hundreds of years. But back in the day, it was so sophisticated and posh. The bed & breakfast La Tour De Cause, was built sometime in the mid-1700s. Above the house is a Pigeon Tower  or Pigeonnier in french which was also built sometime right before the house was built. These towers were used to provide a shelter for the pigeons, and to supply the people with some tasty protein. Pigeon is still served on some menus today. This particular pigeon tower is a simple, yet beautiful structure, that is standing so remarkably well after all these years.  Even driving through the valley, you can see these cylindrical structures poking out of the trees all over the place. Some have been converted to homes, or vacation rentals, while others have been lost and have deteriorated over the years. After cleaning the rooms, my job for the next two months, Caitlin and I went to clean the path so all their guests could go up and appreciate the splendor of the tower!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment