Saturday, May 14, 2011

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls


You know, TLC had it wrong when they sang that song. Ive found that chasing waterfalls in the most literal sense is one of the best things a person can do. Waterfalls are majestic in their space, whether it's 40 meters tall or just 1 meter. The way the earth can be carved out by something so simple as water pleasantly reminds me that there is little I can do to battle the force of nature. I had the most pleasure in talking a self-proclaimed waterfall hike along the Hatea River in Whangarei, a town about 3 hours north of Auckland by bus. With each bend in the river, I came across things I had never seen before. Foliage casually draping itself across the path, Kauri trees that seemed as tall as my Redwoods back home, and of course, the waterfalls, made for a surprising and peaceful walk.

The Whangerai Falls





A creek into the Hatea River



Canopy Walk



Kauri Tree, standing tall


Elegantly placed across the path


Pukenui Falls



Tree roots as stairs....



...And the canopy as an umbrella


Waikoromiko Stream


And back to the Hatea River



It was a beautiful walk, and as my mom would say, everything just looked like a picture. So this one is dedicated to my Momma, Happy Mother's Day <3

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Karen, Colin, SamaraMay 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

    love the photos! Glad you enjoyed the walk.

    ReplyDelete