Wednesday, May 4, 2011

On the Road Again




This here is a picture my first meal crossing the international date line, crossing the equator, but most importantly, this here is a picture of my first meal in New Zealand.


Impressive right? Well looks may deceive you but this wasn't actually bad. In fact it was quite good. It was encouraging to me to see Japanese people outside of this japanese curry house, and since it was raining and my last minute traveling left me without an umbrella, I decided to stop in. Seasonal veggies, rice, and that bright red stuff was ginger

This hereeeee is a picture of my second meal in New Zealand, a new take on potato and leek soup.



I went to the store and picked up this GIANT leek, and a kumara, a starch like veggie that looks similar to out potato.



I simmered the leek in oil, added some spices of ginger, Chinese five spice, curry powder, salt and pepper, and added just a bit of garlic. Add a veggie bouillon cube to the potatoes cooking in water, throw in the leek, some cream and Houston we got soup! Soup that my fellow hostelers were asking me about, since it looked more appetizing and smelled more appetizing then their can warmed up in the microwave.

So here I am, ready for my next adventure. This trip will take me to places that I have only dreamed of, places that are so different then my last travels in Europe that I can't even imagine the dishes that are coming my way. I can only hope that you'll once again follow my culinary travels, and be just excited as I am about them!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,

    So exciting to have the blog again! Always wanted to go to New Zealand, it looks lovely
    and I think the people are great> (At least the
    ones I've met)

    Annette

    ReplyDelete