Monday, May 23, 2011

The Southside

I have been on the South Island for less than 24 hours and have already had some fascinating and interesting experiences. It started with my journey from North to South Island on the Interislander ferry. A monstrosity of a vessel, to take passengers, cars, and large trucks across the Cook Straight to the South










The morning greeted me with a beautiful sunrise












It's amazing how sunrises can warm up a person's soul. Most of the time, I only witness sunsets-for the convenience of time, as I am not an early morning riser, and for the sheer fact that I live in sunny California, where the sun sets on one of it's final places of the day. But a sunrise is different from a sunset other then just time of day. It signifies a fresh start, and the breath of a new day.

The three hour journey from North to South Island is just as pretty as the islands themselves. The water is so blue, and the air is crisp and clean, though it was overcast most of the way over. As one makes their way into the South Island, through the Tory Channel and Queen Charlotte Sound, you are greeted by effortlessly beautiful islands, with water so crystal clear.




The sounds jetting out into the water


And a cute little town welcoming your arrival



I spent the night in Nelson, which was about two hours bus from the Picton Ferry Terminal. Nelson is a relatively small town, but home to a very active shipping port for the South Island.



In my short time there, I went on a walk and met a 79 year old man, who started to chat with me as we made our way to the Tahunanui Beach.


He made me slow down, and actually enjoy the scenery, explaining to me how he walks the beach every day he possibly can. He told me stories about life and things, and asked me interesting questions, many people never would think of asking. He even produced a personality type quiz that he has been working on for a book, and asked me to take it to evaluate myself-that the true me was within my thoughts. As he shook my hand and said it was nice to meet me and sent me on my way, I felt as I was some student who had been taught by a great professor, and was now ready for the world. I left him sitting on the beach, but couldn't help but turn around to snap a photo of him sitting there on his towel, with his papers and quizzes, waiting for the next person to cross his path. -see far left bottom corner-



And luckily for me, New Zealand also has some fabulous sunsets, seemingly perfect to end the day.







1 comment:

  1. That's so cool you're in NZ! I was there this January visiting my brother who's in vet school at Massey and we traveled around the South island. Make sure you go to Abel Tasman National Park, the pancake rocks, and fjordland. :)

    ReplyDelete